Delhi BMW Accident News: Accused Gaganpreet Makkad’s lawyer says ‘5,000 accidents happen every year’; city court denies her bail | Delhi News
NEW DELHI: A Delhi court on Wednesday denied bail to Gaganpreet Kaur, an accused in the BMW accident case that claimed the life of senior finance ministry official Navjot Singh.Judicial magistrate Ankit Garg extended her judicial custody till September 27 and issued a notice on her plea seeking preservation of CCTV footage of the crash. The plea will be heard on Thursday.Senior advocate Ramesh Gupta, appearing for the accused, argued that the FIR was registered 10 hours after the incident and described the accident as “unfortunate.” “It’s an unfortunate incident. Five thousand accidents happen every year, and those are also unfortunate,” Gupta said.He added that Kaur’s children were inside the car at the time of the crash and opposed the invocation of sections related to culpable homicide not amounting to murder. “When the investigating officer registered the case, he was of the view that the accused was driving in a rash and negligent manner,” he told the court.Arguments on her bail plea were also heard by the court, which posted the matter for Saturday.Gupta urged the court to grant bail, pointing out that even in cases involving women facing the death penalty, bail can be considered.Kaur, through her lawyer, also questioned why no action was taken against a DTC bus, which police said was struck by the two-wheeler after it was knocked down by the BMW.She further alleged that an ambulance passed by the accident site but refused to assist the victims.The prosecution, opposing the bail plea, alleged evidence tampering and pointed to the fact that the victim was taken to a hospital in north Delhi, 19km away from the accident spot. “Something has to be malafide if he was taken so far away,” the prosecution counsel told the court.