4 killed in Chamba landslides, Himachal monsoon toll at 312 | Shimla News

KULLU: Four persons died and two were severely injured after being caught in landslides as rain continued to pound Himachal Pradesh’s Chamba district, even as the state’s death toll this monsoon rose to 312.A brother and sister were buried in landslide debris in Basodhan panchayat near Chamba town Wednesday. Barely 15km away, two women were crushed to death by a landslide in Bhimla panchayat under Mehla block. The women were working near their house when stones suddenly started falling from the hillside. Two women were injured in the mishap. An official said the victims were still to be identified. The devastation in Chamba came to light after mobile connectivity was restored Thursday.Large parts of Himachal lay devastated by flash floods and landslides. Chandigarh-Manali highway was gouged out at several places and completely vanished at others. It was blocked by a massive landslide at Banala near Panarsa in Mandi around 8.30pm Wednesday, within three hours of being reopened after a 48-hour blockage. It was also blocked at Kainchi Mod, where an entire stretch of road caved in due to heavy rainfall.Mandi MP Kangana Ranaut posted about the Banala landslide on social media Thursday, saying, “There are fears that several people and vehicles may be buried under the debris, and I stand with the affected families.” However, Mandi deputy commissioner Apoorv Devgan said there was “no evidence or witness to prove that people and vehicles were buried in the landslide debris.” Mandi Police also issued a statement stating the debris had been cleared and no vehicles or people were found buried underneath.The closure triggered massive jams at multiple spots. Thousands of vehicles have been stuck for three days. An official said the highway was unlikely to be opened Thursday as it was badly damaged at Kainchi Mod. NHAI started work on restoring the highway between Kullu and Manali on Thursday. Over 500 roads remained blocked throughout Himachal. Revenue minister Jagat Singh Negi said around 3,000 pilgrims were stranded between Chamba and Bharmour, and on the Manimahesh trek.